Personal Tax

Home > Info Centre > Tax Hub > Personal Tax

Personal Tax is, as the name suggests, tax paid by individuals. The technically correct title is ‘Income Tax’, as it is tax paid on income received, though not all of your income will be liable to tax.

If all of your income comes through employments, your income tax will be paid through the PAYE system, and there will be no need for you to submit a Tax Return.

If you receive income that isn’t subject to PAYE, you will probably need to pay Income Tax and National Insurance by submitting an annual Self Assessment Tax Return. This should include worldwide income received within a twelve month period that currently runs from 6th April one year to the 5th April the following year. This Return has to be submitted by the 31st January after the period end.

If you earned more than £1,000 from self employment or received untaxed income of £2,500 or more in the year, you must prepare and submit a Tax Return.

The ‘Self Assessment’ element of the title recognises that responsibility for the declaration of all income remains with the taxpayer. That said, HMRC have a number of ways to double check the validity of any submissions!

As with any UK tax, there are various allowances and reliefs available to take account of when preparing your Return.

This section will attempt to highlight the key areas to be aware of around Income Tax and Self Assessment Tax returns, though as the subject is so broad, it will only cover the basic theory and latest news.

If you’d like to know more, please get in touch to have a conversation around your particular circumstances, as this is one area where specifics can make a huge difference!

An image of a desk with 'Tax Return' written in large letters on a pad, with assorted stationery and a mug of tea as illustration for post 'What information do we need for your Personal Tax Return?'

Your Personal Tax Return – what do we need?

If we prepare yours for you, NOW is the time to get ahead and send us your information as it hits your door mat or inbox.

What do we need? It’s all in here for you.

Key Tax Dates for Individuals

The tax year is like Groundhog Day, in that it constantly repeats, so there are some key tax dates that are important every year. 

In this brief post we’re looking at what and when those are.

Escaping the Self Assessment System…

Once you’re in the HMRC Tax Return system, it can be very hard to escape. You certainly can’t rely on being able to exit on your own terms!

There are some circumstances that you may think would excuse you from the annual task of submitting a Tax Return, but it’s sadly not that simple.

What is a Personal Tax Account?

According to HMRC, your Personal Tax Account enables you to ‘manage your tax affairs online, quickly and simply, whenever you want.’ It’s intended as a way for Taxpayers to access their records online, without contacting HMRC.

How much should I save for tax?

Over the last few years we’ve all been shown that predicting the future is nigh on impossible. We can’t rely on finding forthcoming tax liabilities from current trading income, as the economy remains volatile, and it likely to do so for some time to come.

Here’s the alternative…

Tax Rates 2023/24

We’ve listed below the latest tax rates and allowances as announced in the 2023 Spring Budget, or before.

What is HMRC’s Income Record Viewer?

The Income Record Viewer is a new service from HMRC that allows individuals to view their employment and self-employment income records for the current and previous tax years. 

We’d like access too!

Related News Items

Why not take a look at these sections too, as there is some overlap between our categories and we’d hate you to miss out!



Capital Gains Tax

Each of our clients receives regular updates that keep them aware of changes and suggestions; if you’d like to receive those too, just click on the button below, add your details and we’ll do the rest!

Can I just say we are so pleased that we have moved to Baranov Associates. As we discussed when you visited, we had to find a way to take the stress out of all of the financials and you’re doing that for us! We can see how to use Xero more efficiently and so with us being as on top of it as we can be and with you and Liz we feel a lot more confident about our business being in good shape.

Mrs S James, Sandbanks Capital Partners Limited

Would it help to chat?

If it would help to talk to us, just enter your details below and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.