HMRC scam warning – June 2023
HMRC has warned of the latest tactics scammers are using, and in particular have warned that Tax Credit claimants should be on their guard.
The new alert provides details of a number of new scams that have been reported that aim to trick people into handing over money or personal information. Criminals use deadlines, like the forthcoming tax credits renewal deadline on 31st July, to target their victims and HMRC is warning around 1.5 million tax credits customers to be aware of scams that look like HMRC communications.
Typical scam examples include:
- emails or texts claiming an individual’s details aren’t up to date and that they risk losing out on payments that are due to them.
- emails or texts claiming that a direct debit payment hasn’t ‘gone through’.
- phone calls threatening arrest if people don’t immediately pay fake tax owed.
- claims that the victim’s national insurance number has been used in fraud.
- emails or texts offering spurious tax rebates or bogus grants or support.
Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said: ‘Tax scams come in many forms and we’re urging customers to be alert to the tactics used by fraudsters and never to let yourselves be rushed. If someone contacts you saying they’re from HMRC and asks you to give personal information or urgently transfer money, be on your guard. Search ‘HMRC scams’ advice on GOV.UK to find out how to report scams and help us fight these crimes.’
Scam messages can be convincing, and often work by putting individuals under pressure to make quick decisions.
If you’re unsure about any communication you may receive that purports to be from HMRC, you can either check on Gov.uk if the contact is genuinely from HMRC.
Visit Gov.uk for details if you’d like to report a scam or suspicious activity.
We send regular updates that keep clients aware of changes and suggestions on a wide range of subjects; if you’d like to receive those too, just add your details below and we’ll do the rest! We promise not to bombard you and you can unsubscribe at any time.